Crossbone Cementary, 2013
This is Cross Bones, a pauper's burial ground in South London with a legend going back to medieval times. In a survey of London in 1598, it was referred too as the "Single Woman's churchyard" because of its origins as an unconsecrated graveyard for prostitutes, known locally as "Winchester Geese", because they were licensed by the Bishop of Winchester to work at liberty outside the City of London.
By 1769, it had become a pauper's cemetery servicing the poor of St. Saviour parish. Up to 15,000 people are believed to have been buried there until It was closed in 1853.
A local group called the Friends of Cross Bones, is campaigning for it to be permanent memorial garden instead of an office development.
The graveyard gates are decorated by a changing array of messages, ribbons, flowers and other tokens in memory of the thousands of outcasts, prostitutes and paupers who are still buried there.
All images © 2013, David Bickerstaff